The 2012 John Smith’s Grand National
In recognition of the fact the Grand National is just around the corner, we at Atlas Helicopters would like to share some interesting facts regarding the horse racing industry in the UK.
Interesting Facts about the Horse Racing Industry in the UK
- Whilst football (soccer) is the UK’s and indeed the World’s most popular sport, horse racing in the UK is the second most popular.
- The economic impact alone of horse racing is enormous, contributing some £3.7bn to the UK economy and generating some £325m in taxation.
- Horse racing employs 20,000 people directly and a further 70,000 indirectly.
- Did you know that there are 53 race courses in England, 5 courses in Scotland and 2 in Wales?
- Each and every one of the 60 UK Race Courses have helicopter landing facilities.
- During the Cheltenham Festival, nearly 225,000 spectators were in attendance over the period of the event.
- The Cheltenham Festival is the UK’s second largest helicopter event, behind the British Grand Prix at Silverstone – with some 400 helicopter landings over the 4-day event.
- The Grand National sees in the region of 150,000 spectators over the 3-day event in April.
With so many horse racing events throughout the year, spread right across the country and attended by so many people, why not consider a helicopter charter to the Grand National as a convenient way of beating the traffic, arriving refreshed and ready for the day’s action?
Call Now for a no-obligation quotation.